- 1 large non-stick pot with lid (*I use a Le Creuset cast iron non-stick pot)
- 1 large pan
- 1 small pot
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 ½ lbs stewing beef, diced in cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 celeri stalks, diced in small cubes
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced in small cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 3 shallots, chopped finely
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 ¼ cups of beef stock
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cup of red wine (cabernet or merlot works best, but any red wine is fine)
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 2 cups small white onions
- 8 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 8oz package of mushrooms, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350˚F
- In a large bowl, mix the beef with the sea salt, and put aside.
- In a large non-stick pot, melt butter, and brown the beef cubes (high heat). Don’t cook the meat thoroughly.
- Add the celery, carrots, garlic and shallots. Cook for 5 minutes. Add salt & pepper.
- Add the stock, red wine and tomato paste. Mix well, put the lid on, and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, fill a small pot with water, and bring to boil. Add the white onions, cook for 3 minutes, and empty the water. Let the onions completely cool down before removing the skin.
- In a large pan, cook the bacon over medium-high heat. Halfway through, reduce heat to medium, and add the mushrooms and the white onions.
- After 2 hours, add the bacon mixture to the beef pot, and cook for another 30 minutes with the lid on.
- Serve with your favourite salad and parsnip puree.
- Process garlic + shallots in a food processor until chopped finely
- Blitz celery + carrots in a food processor until diced in cubes
- Prepare and cut vegetables a day ahead to save more time
Options: you can add 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced, with the celery and carrots if you want a more starchy texture.
- Peel the parsnips, remove the ends, and cut in large pieces.
- Fill a medium pot with water, put the parsnips in, and bring to boil. Cook the parsnips until tender. Discard the water.
- In a high speed blender, blend the parsnips, butter, heavy cream, and salt & pepper on high speed. Blend until smooth.